Llawhaden, north west of Narberth in Pembrokeshire, has a very long history dating back to the Bronze age, if not longer. Earthworks and remains of forts, along with finds of such items as arrowheads, confirm this at least, though it is likely that Llawhaden has a much longer history. The English translation means Church of Aidan which, legend attributes to an Irishman who followed St. David around 500 - 800 A.D. before returning to his homeland to become a bishop. The town grew from the association with the church especially Bishop Bek during the period 1280 - 93.
The castle at Llawhaden was falling into a poor state of repair by the 16th. century.
Llawhaden was visited by Giraldus Cambrensis, Gerald of Wales and The Archbishop of Canterbury in 1188 to recruit people to take part in the Third Crusade.
[ Front Page | Welshlist Page | Mid Wales List ]